Re: is GiST still alive?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Gregor Zeitlinger <zeitling(at)informatik(dot)hu-berlin(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: is GiST still alive?
Date: 2003-10-23 03:28:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Gregor,

> Thanx for your advise, but that's not what I had in mind. The original
> idea to have a native xml database was that I doesn't work too well in a
> relational database.
> I was just wondering wheater I have to reinvent the wheel of database
> technology when it comes to transaction processing, ACID, and Indexes,
> which a native xml database ought to have as well.

Reinvent the wheel? Well, yes.

The first thing ... the VERY first thing, abosolutely ... that you need to do
is invent a theory of XML databases. That is, before you write a single
line of code, you need to have a comprehensive theory that defines:
1) What is an XML database and what is not.
2) How querying an XML database must work
3) Data constraints and data models for an XML database.

Without these things, you're just another idiot floundering around a morass of
acronyms and half-baked ideas. With them, you will have something that no
current XML database project/product has, and can give XML databases a
fighting chance to survive beyond the current fad.

Of course,it's possible in the course of theorizing that you may prove that
XML databases are impossible. But that's how the cookie crumbles ....

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions