Re: File system level backup

From: Jamie Lawrence <jal(at)jal(dot)org>
To: Ganesan Kanavathy <ganesh(at)magnusquest(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: File system level backup
Date: 2003-10-22 02:25:03
Lists: pgsql-admin
> Dear all,
>
> All the while I was doing pg_dump as backup method for my pgsql db.
> Today I came across File system level backup on Postgresql
> Documentation.
>
> After reading it, I am quite unsure whether File system level backup is
> better than pg_dump.

You have to look at your needs.

> Furthermore, do we really need to do File system level backup or pg_dump
> is good enough?

File system level backup is typically complicated to design, and is
specific to your needs.

pg_dump is nearly universally usable, but might not meet your needs, if
you are a 24x7 shop. Online backup is almost always specific to your
site, usually a big deal to set up, and rarely impossible.

> Any suggestion is much appreciated.

Without more information about what you're doing, I can't say anything
more. But most likely, pg_dump will work for you. It covers most cases.

-j

--
Jamie Lawrence                                        jal(at)jal(dot)org
Helpful Hint: Unbreakable toys can be used to break other toys.