plpgsql: return multiple result sets

From: Oksana Yasynska <oksana(at)athabascau(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: plpgsql: return multiple result sets
Date: 2003-10-17 20:59:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

I'm running Postgres 7.2.1 and I need to return multiple row sets from plpgsql
function. I'm new in plpgsql but according documentation and everything I
could find in the mailing list I need to switch to 7.3 to get at least SETOF
rows as a result.

I can't really upgrade Postgres now. Is there is any a workaround idea to
retrieve multiple rowsets?

I have up to 50 tables in database to join and pass this data to the another
application
I had an idea to build a view and retrieve cursor on this view (if I stay with
7.2) or generate custom type based on the columns of all 50 tables and
retrieve a SETOF custom type (if I use 7.3)

Can anybody give me any suggestion?

Thank you in advance,

Oksana