Re: String Translation

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: David Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
Cc: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: String Translation
Date: 2003-10-16 17:54:15
Lists: sfpug
David,

>      active               NUMERIC(1,0)   NOT NULL
>                                          DEFAULT 1
>                                          CONSTRAINT ck_sd_tile__active
>                                            CHECK (active IN (0,1)),

Why is this field NUMERIC if it only accepts 0 or 1?    NUMERIC takes up seven
times the storage and memory as INT2 would.

> CREATE INDEX idx_story_data_tile__key_name ON
> story_data_tile(LOWER(key_name));

If key_name only contains lowercase data, why bother with a functional index?

> Perhaps I should drop the idx_story_data_tile__key_name index, make the
> changes, and then add it again? This is important, because while my
> database has only 2200 records, there will be Bricolage installations
> with millions of records in this table.

No, one index shouldn't cause this problem.

--
-Josh Berkus

                                        Josh Berkus
   Complete information technology 	josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
    and data management solutions 	(415) 565-7293
   for law firms, small businesses 	 fax 621-2533
    and non-profit organizations. 	San Francisco