Re: MySQL interview, no mention of PostgreSQL

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Jeff Davis <jdavis-pgsql(at)empires(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MySQL interview, no mention of PostgreSQL
Date: 2003-10-15 09:47:53
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Jeff Davis wrote:

> I bet the win32 port will help advocacy a lot. The other thing that
> would help I think would be to make it as friendly as possible for ISPs
> to do virtual hosting. Schemas are probably helping that a lot already,
> and the only other thing I can think of in that area would be resource
> monitoring/control. I'm not suggesting that MySQL is better for virtual
> hosting, but perhaps if PostgreSQL makes it easier than that will give
> us an edge.

'K, I've been doing virtual hosting with PostgreSQL for 8 years now (god,
I feel old) ... what is hard about it?

In fact, we run MySQL (ack!) for some clients, due to their requirements,
and with the recent changes in our IPs, we're having a bugger of a time
with IP based access and getting those clients switched to the new IPs
then we had with PostgreSQL (MySQL uses an SQL based ACL system for
connections, apparently, vs our 'text based, sed changable pg_hb.conf
file') ...