Re: Need help with SGML again

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need help with SGML again
Date: 2003-10-14 20:26:08
Lists: pgsql-docs
Bruce,

> I have Peter on IM.  Here is his reply:

If he can come over to IRC, we can have a 3-way.

> Peter Eisentraut: linking is bad anyway.  tell him not to do it.  if the
material cannot be presented sequentially, it's too complicated.
> 151255111: ok

??? Do we want linking or do we want lots of duplicate text?

What I have currently is:

   <sect2 id="runtime-config-basics">
    <title>Basic Runtime Setup</title>

    <para>
    PostgreSQL's default runtime setup is very conservative, and more
appropriate to an
    old workstation than a modern server machine.  As such, you will certainly
want to
    change some of the runtime settings before running PostgreSQL for the
first time.
    After INITDB, database administrators should change most or all of the
following settings,
    listed in order of how frequently they need adjustment.
    </para>
    <itemizedlist>
    <listitem>tcpip_socket</listitem>
    <listitem>max_connections</listitem>
    <listitem>shared_buffers</listitem>
    <listitem>sort_mem</listitem>
    <listitem>effective_cache_size</listitem>
    <listitem>random_tuple_cost</listitem>
    <listitem>vacuum_mem</listitem>
    <listitem>max_fsm_pages</listitem>
    <listitem>checkpoint_segments</listitem>
    </itemizedlist>

etc.

It's obvious to me that for this each of the setting names should be linked to
the listitem below for the individual setting.  My only other choice would be
to *repeat* the configuration text in the "Basic Setup" section, identical
with the text below where the settings are defined.  This does *not* seem
effective to me.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions