Re: compile warnings on cygwin - make check fails

From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: compile warnings on cygwin - make check fails
Date: 2003-10-10 12:02:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew,

On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 12:25:01AM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> WinXP/cygwin/gcc version 3.3.1 (cygming special)

XP Home or Pro? What version of Cygwin?

> gives these
>
> tablecmds.c:3528: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break
> strict-aliasing rules
> [snip]

FWIW, I saw warnings I never saw before when compiling Python under
Cygwin gcc 3.3.1 yesterday. I presume gcc 3.3.1 is pickier or more
"chatty" than it was before. Anyway, Python still passed its full
regression test.

> make check fails (hangs) consistently on parallel tests

Are you getting hangs or connection refused errors. The Cygwin
PostgreSQL README documents the following issue:

1. make check can generate spurious regression test failures due to
overflowing the the listen() backlog queue which generates
connection refused errors. Note that make installcheck does not
have this problem since it runs all tests sequentially instead of in
large concurrent groups.

> max_connections set to 100, shared_buffers set to 1000 by initdb (CVS
> version, not mine).

The above will not have any affects under Cygwin. IIRC, the listen()
backlog is 200 under server versions of Windows (e.g., 2000 Advanced
Server) and 5 on all other versions (e.g., XP Pro).

Can you try make installcheck instead?

Thanks,
Jason

Fingerprint: 7A73 1405 7F2B E669 C19D 8784 1AFD E4CC ECF4 8EF6