Re: NuSphere and PostgreSQL for windows

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: NuSphere and PostgreSQL for windows
Date: 2003-10-09 17:57:02
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-www
Robert Treat wrote:

> > > I think a few things that Oleg needs to find out first is whether or not
> > > PeerDirect *will* feed it back to the community ... how much did they feed
> > > back of Jan's work?  Considering where win32 seems to be sitting, it
> > > doesn't seem like much ...
> >
> > PeerDirect contributed the code, but neither they or Jan wanted to port
> > it up to current CVS, and that's were we/I got stuck.
> >

> So it would be a boon for them to pay someone to bring it up to date
> (assuming they would donate it back to the community).
>

> > SRA's Windows port is up to 7.3.4, and I think they just released
> > version 1.1, so that is going fine --- and I have the source code to
> > use in our native Win32 port, just not the threading stuff.
>
> And if I've paid attention, the threading bits are what SRA used to get
> around the fork/exec issues?
>
> Incidentally I don't recall any announcements from SRA that they were
> past the beta development phase with their version, seems like that
> could have gotten some mention on the main postgresql site.

Here is SRA's News page, translated into English:

	http://www.excite.co.jp/world/url/body/?wb_url=http%3A%2F%2Fosb.sra.co.jp&submit=%83E%83F%83u%83y%81%5B%83W%96%7C%96%F3&wb_lp=JAEN&wb_dis=2&wb_co=excitejapan

(Babelfish has problems, so I used Excite.)  You can see the products
they have.  I will post something to the PostgreSQL events list.