Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/src/template bsdi freebsd

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Henry B(dot) Hotz" <hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-ports <pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/src/template bsdi freebsd
Date: 2003-10-09 17:10:56
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers pgsql-ports

Henry B. Hotz wrote:
> >> Well, why do we have it enabled at all? If it's to speed compilation, we
> >> may as well enable it on other platforms where -pipe works, of which
> >> Linux is one.
> >
> >My gcc 2.95.3 manual says:
> >
> > -pipe Use pipes rather than temporary files for communi-
> > cation between the various stages of compilation.
> > This fails to work on some systems where the assem-
> > bler cannot read from a pipe; but the GNU assembler
> > has no trouble.
> >
> >so it looks like we can't use it on all platforms without testing. I
> >will enable it for linux. Do people want to test other platforms?
>
> It should work on any platform that uses the GNU tools, so that means
> *BSD is in the same boat as Linux.
>
> Does it really speed compilation though? I saw somewhere that it
> didn't make much difference and might even hurt sometimes.

I saw a 5 second improvement with -pipe on a 150 second full compile of
PostgreSQL. However, I have a MFS /tmp. I suppose if I didn't, it
would be slower. However, the difference is so small as to be
meaningless. Can someone else test on another *BSD and report?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us