Problem with pg_user (somewhat urgent)

From: Oliver Fromme <olli(at)lurza(dot)secnetix(dot)de>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problem with pg_user (somewhat urgent)
Date: 2003-10-09 14:38:00
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

We have a PostgreSQL 7.3.4 cluster which is used by several
customers. Every customer has his own database. I have
revoked SELECT access on pg_user from the customers, because
they should not be able to see which other customers exist
on the cluster.

However, now the customers cannot use pg_dump anymore:
<QUOTE>
pg_dump: SQL command failed
pg_dump: Error message from server: ERROR: pg_user: permission denied
pg_dump: The command was: select (select usename from pg_user where usesysid = datdba) as dba, encoding, datpath from pg_database where datname = 'antonhurz'
</QUOTE>

Is there any way to resolve the problem?

If I understand things right, every DB has its own copy of
pg_user, right? Then I _should_ be able to delete all other
users from pg_user, except the owner of the DB (and possibly
the pgsql superuser), then grant SELECT access back to
everyone. Repeat that step for every database.
Would that work? I'm a bit reluctant to just try it,
because I don't want to break anything and make matters
worse.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Regards
Oliver

"I have stopped reading Stephen King novels.
Now I just read C code instead."
-- Richard A. O'Keefe