Re: Oracle/PostgreSQL incompatibilities

From: Rainer Klute <rainer(dot)klute(at)epost(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: klute(at)rainer-klute(dot)de, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, klute(at)rainer-klute(dot)de
Subject: Re: Oracle/PostgreSQL incompatibilities
Date: 2003-10-05 05:30:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 11:53:05 -0400 Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Rainer Klute <rainer(dot)klute(at)epost(dot)de> writes:
> > [ some good comments, but a few things I want to respond to ]
>
> > + CREATE SCHEMA: Sometimes a schema created in PostgreSQL
> > disappears if there is nothing in it.
>
> This is more than a bit hard to believe. Can you give an example?

Well, no. I had to struggle a bit with schemas until I had it running the way I wanted. But now I can't reproduce the problem. You may take that as good news. :-)

> > + CREATE SEQUENCE: Oracle allows (or requires) "INCREMENT BY"
> > instead of just "INCREMENT". Same for "START WITH" vs.
> > "START". Oracle allows explicit NOCYCLE and NOCACHE. It also
> > has a keyword ORDER.
>
> It looks like much of this has been done as of 7.4. I dunno what ORDER
> is for though.

I don't know either but at least here's an example:
CREATE SEQUENCE ADAPTER.SEQ_ADAPTERSTORE INCREMENT BY 1 START WITH 1 MAXVALUE 999999999999999 NOCYCLE NOCACHE ORDER;

> > + PostgreSQL does not support the NUMBER keyword without (...)
> > i.e. something in parenthesis following it.
>
> Don't follow this one either. We don't have NUMBER --- are you speaking
> of NUMERIC? If so, I'm not aware of any context where you're required
> to put a precision on NUMERIC. Again, may we see an example?

Here's an Oracle example:

create table BUSINESS_PROCESS
(ID NUMBER not null primary key,
BUSINESS_PROTOCOL varchar2(254),
PROTOCOL_VERSION varchar2(254),
DEFAULT_CONVERSATION_TIMEOUT NUMBER);

Best regards
Rainer Klute

Rainer Klute E-Mail: rainer(dot)klute(at)epost(dot)de
Körner Grund 24 Telefon: (0231) 511693
D-44143 Dortmund Mobil: (0172) 2324824