Re: Thoughts on maintaining 7.3

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Thoughts on maintaining 7.3
Date: 2003-10-01 12:36:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Hello,
>
> With the recent stint of pg_upgrade statements and the impending
> release of 7.4 what do people think about having a dedicated maintenance
> team for 7.3? 7.3 is a pretty solid release and I think people will be
> hard pressed to upgrade to 7.4. Of course a lot of people will, but I
> have customer that are just now upgrading to 7.3 because of legacy
> application and migratory issues.
>
> Anyway I was considering a similar situation to how Linux works where
> their is a maintainer for each release... Heck even Linux 2.0 still
> released until recently.
>
> Of course the theory being that we backport "some" features and fix
> any bugs that we find?
>
> What are people's thoughts on this?

The key issue here is that those creating the patches need to spend the
time to create appropriate ones for v7.3, and not many seem willing ...
Tom generally does alot of work on back-patching where appropriate, but
those patches are generally either very critical, or benign to changes
since v7.3 ...

The main detractor from us doing this up to this point has been, I
believe, testing to make sure any back patches don't break *any* of the
various OS ports, testing that generally only gets done while in a Beta
freeze ...

Not saying that if someone submit'd patches to v7.3, they wouldn't get
applied ... only that, to date, the work/effort has been greater then the
overall benefit, and nobody has step'd up to the plate to do it ...