pg_dump no longer honors --no-reconnect

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: pg_dump no longer honors --no-reconnect
Date: 2003-09-29 04:43:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers
From CVS logs I see:

	pg_dump/pg_restore now always use SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION, not
	\connect, to control object ownership.  The
	use-set-session-authorization and no-reconnect switches are obsolete
	(still accepted on the command line, but they don't do anything).  This
	is a precursor to fixing handling of CREATE SCHEMA, which will be a
	separate commit.

This was to fix a problem with restoring schemas.  However, the commit
says that --use-set-session-authorization and --no-reconnect are no
longer honored.  Seems we can silently ignore a
--use-set-session-authorization flag because that is now the default,
but I don't see how we can ignore a --no-reconnect flag --- we should
throw an error.

The pg_dump manual says:

	-R
	--no-reconnect

	    This option is obsolete but still accepted for backwards compatibility.

Also, the 7.3 manual mentions that only the super-user can restore using
--use-set-session-authorization.  This is now the only way to create
dumps.  Seems this is a new limitation to pg_dump that we didn't
discuss.