pg_dump no longer honors --no-reconnect

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: pg_dump no longer honors --no-reconnect
Date: 2003-09-29 04:43:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From CVS logs I see:

pg_dump/pg_restore now always use SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION, not
\connect, to control object ownership. The
use-set-session-authorization and no-reconnect switches are obsolete
(still accepted on the command line, but they don't do anything). This
is a precursor to fixing handling of CREATE SCHEMA, which will be a
separate commit.

This was to fix a problem with restoring schemas. However, the commit
says that --use-set-session-authorization and --no-reconnect are no
longer honored. Seems we can silently ignore a
--use-set-session-authorization flag because that is now the default,
but I don't see how we can ignore a --no-reconnect flag --- we should
throw an error.

The pg_dump manual says:

-R
--no-reconnect

This option is obsolete but still accepted for backwards compatibility.

Also, the 7.3 manual mentions that only the super-user can restore using
--use-set-session-authorization. This is now the only way to create
dumps. Seems this is a new limitation to pg_dump that we didn't
discuss.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us