Re: Postgresql 'eats' all mi data partition

From: Tomas Szepe <szepe(at)pinerecords(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>, Javier Carlos <fjcarlos(at)correo(dot)insp(dot)mx>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql 'eats' all mi data partition
Date: 2003-09-26 19:35:37
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> [tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us]
>
> You've definitely got an index-bloat problem on stats_min (the indexes
> are four times the size of the table :-(), and I suspect the same on
> stats_hr, though not quite as bad. What are the datatypes of the
> index columns?

stats_min_pkey primary key btree (ip, "start")
stats_min_start btree ("start")
stats_hr_pkey primary key btree (ip, "start")
stats_hr_start btree ("start")

ip is of type "inet" in all tables.
start is of type "timestamp without time zone" in all tables.

> > Hmm, you seem to suggest that we might expect a change in this regard
> > as 7.4 ships. Is that right?
>
> 7.4 should improve matters.

Trouble is, I probably can't give it a try on the production machine
unless I'm sure it won't trash the data, and I don't know of a way to
reproduce the workload on a test setup. :(

Thanks,
--
Tomas Szepe <szepe(at)pinerecords(dot)com>