Re: Postgresql 'eats' all mi data partition

From: Tomas Szepe <szepe(at)pinerecords(dot)com>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: Javier Carlos <fjcarlos(at)correo(dot)insp(dot)mx>,pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql 'eats' all mi data partition
Date: 2003-09-26 18:15:40
Lists: pgsql-bugs
> [sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com]
>
> Did you use -f on the vacuumdb?  If not, it did a normal vacuum (which
> isn't likely to help) not a full vacuum.

There are scenarios where VACUUM FULL is not an option because
of its resource-hungriness and plain VACUUM just doesn't seem
to help.

We have a production database that happens to receive several
thousand row updates per minute.  We VACUUM ANALYZE every four
hours with max_fsm_pages set to 2100000, and it's no use.

The only way to prevent the system from filling up the data
partition seems to be to regularly schedule downtime to dump
and restore the whole db (the dump is ~150 MiB gzipped).

--
Tomas Szepe <szepe(at)pinerecords(dot)com>