Re: Is this a commit problem?

From: markw(at)osdl(dot)org
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, osdldbt-general(at)lists(dot)sourceforge(dot)net
Subject: Re: Is this a commit problem?
Date: 2003-09-25 18:44:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 25 Sep, Tom Lane wrote:
> markw(at)osdl(dot)org writes:
>> I take it PQexec() should wait until the COMMIT finishes?
>
> Yeah, it does. Where is the next iteration of the transaction coming
> from?
>
> Another thought occurred to me --- you said you have many parallel
> instances of this transaction, but they affect different rows because
> they have different keys. Is it possible there's a logic bug that
> occasionally allows parallel transactions to be fired with the same key?

Yeah, that thought has crossed my mind. I did catch an addition error
in my logic that contributed to additional rollbacks. ;) But I did try
to be diligent and output everything that was going on in the
transaction to make sure there weren't any parallel transactions with
the same key. I feel confident that the logic is correct.

Mark