Re: Freebsd vs linux and hardware question

From: Dror Matalon <dror(at)zapatec(dot)com>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Freebsd vs linux and hardware question
Date: 2003-09-22 19:14:01
Lists: sfpug

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 11:45:04AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Dror,
>
> > VACUUM seems to remove dead tuples in all the indices too. Does REINDEX
> > do something else?
>
> VACUUM removes the references to the dead tuples, but does not reclaim the
> space. It's like the difference between VACUUM and VACUUM FULL.

OK, the man page for REINDEX has changed. It used to say that you only
run REINDEX to fix indexes.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/aw_pgsql_book/node274.html

The new page does mention reclaiming bad pages

http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/sql-reindex.html

So I'll double check now and see how often we need to reindex.

--
Dror Matalon, President
Zapatec Inc