Re: Freebsd vs linux and hardware question

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Dror Matalon <dror(at)zapatec(dot)com>, sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Freebsd vs linux and hardware question
Date: 2003-09-22 17:24:29
Lists: sfpug

Dror,

> But actually one of the big problems was solved when we ran VACUUM FULL
> on a problematic table. It shrank from 100 Megs to 6 Megs which on a
> local disk isn't as big a problem as on a NAS.
>
> We're also now running VACUUM ANALYZE on the table every five minutes
> instead of once a day and that helps too.

What is your setting for max_fsm_pages? Have you compared it against the
results of logged VACUUM VERBOSE? And I'd be surprised if running VACUUM
ANALYZE ever 5 minutes is necessary ... VACUUM should do, with ANAYLZE maybe
once a day, unless your users are big on changing a large % of rows at once.

Finally, what about REINDEX?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions