Re: Are 50 million rows a problem for postgres ?

From: Christopher Smith <christopherl_smith(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Are 50 million rows a problem for postgres ?
Date: 2003-09-20 14:12:08
Lists: pgsql-admin

I have a US zip code look-up table that includes all zip codes within a 300 mile radius.

DATE_PORTAL=# select count(origin) from zips_300 ;
count
201021979
(1 row)

The row count is shown above. I get great , great performance. However with large data sets, you need a lot of space for indexes. In my production system, I moved the indexes to another disk.

Postgresql can handle 50 million rows with no problem, just index the data properly.