Re: Interview questions?

From: Frank Finner <frank(at)finner(dot)de>
To: <brion(at)estaffing(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Interview questions?
Date: 2003-09-19 21:08:41
Lists: pgsql-php
On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 19:44:42 -0700 "Brion Wikes" <brion(at)estaffing(dot)net>
sat down, thought long and then wrote:

> UntitledFrom: brion(at)estaffing(dot)net
>

> The site is fairly sophisticated. I think it was built on postreSQL 6X
> and
>
> PHP. When we loaded to the server, we ended up with 7X and there seems
> to be
>
> a few wrinkles with the code on the newer version.

Hi,

are you sure the odds are (only) resulting from a different database
version? I am just lifting a PHP application from 4.0.x to 4.3.x and
that seems to need a big rewrite of a lot of code. Even a lift from
4.0.x to 4.1.x broke several modules, and I have not found all the
reasons yet. I have the same problem you have: The original developer
isnĀ“t available any longer, and I have to update and fix that
application myself.

I used to be a PHP-user for a long time, but these problems with
different PHP versions have brought me back to the usage of Perl CGIs
with FastCGI. Never had any problems with that combination yet,
excellent speed, excellent stability, no release version related
problems. YMMV.

Regards,
--
Frank Finner

Memory follows memory, memory defeats memory; some things are banished
only into the realms of our rich imaginings  -  but this does not mean
that they do not or cannot or will not exist - they exist! They exist!
                              (M. Moorcock, "The Revenge Of The Rose")