Re: PostgreSQL <> MySQL: missing the point?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL <> MySQL: missing the point?
Date: 2003-09-15 16:39:19
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Alexey, Ian,

> There are 2 sorts of people using MySQL:
> 1) Those who know several RDBMSs and use it only when it is the best
> tool for the job (read-only web DB, storing logs, etc)
> 2) Those who know only MySQL and think that it is the Ultimate Solution
> for Everything.

Actually, for Comdex, I'm concerned about:

3) Management who know nothing about technology and are considering MySQL
because MySQL AB has very nice brochures.

This is *very* important becuase no-nothing management types are frequently in
a position to mandate technology choice. MySQL, like Microsoft before them,
have realized that being *perceived* as an enterprise database is, from a
sales perspective, almost as good as being one.

We will be at the convention with some card tables, some CDs and a handful of
xeroxed brochures. MySQL will have a multi-media booth with big banners and
uniforms. We need some substance to counter the glitz, and this is a very
good start.

That being said, I would like to see Alexey's other points included in the
paper. *particularly* the part about license changes and MySQL's closed
development process.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions