Re: Reorganization of spinlock defines

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>,PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reorganization of spinlock defines
Date: 2003-09-12 02:58:52
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Yes, but to throw an error if spinlocks aren't found, we need this
> patch.  We would have to test for Opteron in all the platforms that test
> for specific CPU's but don't test for opteron, and might support
> opterion/itanium, but even then, we don't have any way of getting a
> report of a failure.

'K, but apparently right now we are broken on Opteron/Itanium without this
patch ... so, to fix, we either:

a. add appropriate tests to the individual port files based on individual
failure reports (albeit not clean, definitely safer), or:

b. we do massive, sweeping changes to the whole HAVE_TEST_AND_SET
detection code (definitely cleaner, but has potential of breaking more
then it fixes) :(

personally, as late in the cycle as we are, I think that a. is the wiser
move for v7.4, with b. being something that should happen as soon as
possible once we've branched and start working on v7.5 ...