Re: thread safety

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mendola Gaetano <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org,PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: thread safety
Date: 2003-09-05 16:36:50
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-hackers
[ CC to advocacy.]

Mendola Gaetano wrote:
> "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > The thing that slows me down the most --- trips like FOSDEM.  I am doing
> > one every month or every other month.  That takes 1/4 of each month.
> > The threading discussion took 1/1000 of a month, but I do several
> > hundred of those, so it fills up a month quickly.
>
> I understand you, I seen you there just two day and seem that you
> are someone that is not able to say: NO.

I can say "no" if this group tells me it is more important that I focus
on PostgreSQL development and not on the speeches.  The question is what
is going to advance PostgreSQL faster.

> I remember that in Bruxelles Peter Eisentraut was there too, why
> not found some one that replace you?
> Some time at least :-)

We do have other people doing events all the time.  Comdex will be
attended by a lot of our folks.  We also have folks attending local user
group meetings and making speeches.

However, many presentations have special requirements:

	o full-time employed in PostgreSQL, or willing to take vacation
	  time to make those speeches
	o ability to speak in front of a large groups and communicate well
	o ability to create long presentations
	o someone visible in PostgreSQL who can act as a representative

No, not all events require all those items, but many do, and that's why
I end up doing them.  I don't mind it (it is quite interesting) but it
does take me away from managing PostgreSQL.  (I have also started taking
my 10-year-old son with me, and that is fun.)

I almost always offer to give them a local person who can make a
presentation in their native language.  Sometimes they accept that, but
mostly they don't.  :-)

FYI, I am often able to merge two events into one trip.  For the FOSDEM
talk, I came from a talk in Japan, and after the Denmark talk in
January, I will travel to Paris for a talk on February 3-5.  (I will
post that event to the PostgreSQL news page now.)

Also, consider that I work at home, so I am home 100% of the time when I
am not traveling, so the trips aren't as difficult as they would be for
someone who is at work for 12 hours every weekday.