Re: The "Why Postgres not MySQL" bullet list

From: Ian Barwick <barwick(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: Postgresql Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: The "Why Postgres not MySQL" bullet list
Date: 2003-08-31 20:21:00
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Sunday 31 August 2003 21:32, Rod Taylor wrote:
> Very interesting read -- and I'm only through section 1.  Having used
> MySQL for a while some are known to me, many others are new.
>
> One particularly interesting item is Section 1.7, DEFAULT 'now()' as
> this is also a PostgreSQL gotcha.  See 'nowtest' attached.

Interesting. Though I think this is subtly different - in MySQL the default is
ignored, you could put anything in you want...

> Anyway, I noticed a few times the spec has been mentioned as being
> broken, ignored or otherwise, but the relevant sections not pointed to.
>
> Would you like a hand in tracing down quotes where spec in these areas?

Yup. I'm interested in facts not FUD ;-).

On that note I do have vague intentions of compiling a list
of PostgreSQL gotchas. The only other one I have right now is
PostgreSQL's mandatory AS as in
  SELECT col AS whatever
instead of the alternative
  SELECT col whatever

which IIRC is standard-compliant (there is a thread on this
somewhere).

Ian Barwick
barwick(at)gmx(dot)net