Re: PostgreSQL upgrade -> fails to start server

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Sander Smeenk <ssm+pgsql(at)freshdot(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL upgrade -> fails to start server
Date: 2003-08-30 00:52:32
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 10:09:15AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Sander Smeenk <ssm+pgsql(at)freshdot(dot)net> writes:
> > To make a long story short: i can't activate that locale again,
>
> Why not? Undoing whatever you did to the locale setup seems a lot
> easier task than any other option that's open to you.
>
> I would *not* recommend hand-editing pg_control, even if you got the
> CRC correct. There is a reason why we put in code to prevent on-the-fly
> changes of locale: it corrupts your indexes. You might be able to get
> the postmaster to start, but that wouldn't mean you could trust the
> output of pg_dump.

Postgres already has a -P option to disable system indexes. Would it be
feasable to have a safe mode so that if your locale is broken it sets that
flag and also sets enable_indexscan to false. This would at least give you
enough to pg_dump things.

Assuming the locale doesn't affect something else also.