Re: PostgreSQL upgrade -> fails to start server

From: Sander Smeenk <ssm+pgsql(at)freshdot(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL upgrade -> fails to start server
Date: 2003-08-29 14:19:31
Lists: pgsql-general
Quoting Tom Lane (tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us):

> > To make a long story short: i can't activate that locale again,
> Why not?  Undoing whatever you did to the locale setup seems a lot
> easier task than any other option that's open to you.

The nl_NL(at)euro(dot)UTF-8 locale I used 'back then' is incorrect. It's not a
real locale, and the newer versions of libc6 and locales that I have
installed now don't support the generation of this faulty locale.

I would have to figure out what release of libc6 and locales did
generate this faulty locale, and then install that version, just HOPING
that all the other services i'm running still function with that release
of libc6. And because this situation is on my colocated machine, i'd
rather not have it crash just before the weekend :)

And seeing that nl_NL(at)euro(dot)UTF-8 was an UTF-8 locale, and nl_NL.UTF-8
(which is correct) is an UTF-8 locale too, I thought that it wouldn't
really hurt much if I tried replacing that value in pg_control.

> I would *not* recommend hand-editing pg_control, even if you got the
> CRC correct.

It is a desperate attempt to get my data out.

> There is a reason why we put in code to prevent on-the-fly
> changes of locale: it corrupts your indexes.

Yes, well, it also forbids me to save my data now :)
And theres no --yes-i-know-this-is-stupid-but-please-let-me-do-this option.

Sander.