Re: performance of foreign key constraints

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: teknokrat <teknokrat(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: performance of foreign key constraints
Date: 2003-08-28 17:28:19
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, teknokrat wrote:

> I have a table that has about 20 foreign key constraints on it. I think
> this is a bit excessive and am considering removing them ( they are all
> related to the same table and I don't think there is much chance of any
> integrity violations ). Would this improve performance or not?

It depends on your frequency of inserts/updates to the table with the
constraint and the frequency of update/delete to the table(s) being
refered to. My guess is probably.  You may wish to leave some of the
constraints (decide which are the most important), but 20 does seem a bit
excessive in general.