Problem with tsearch and stopwords

From: Joerg Erdmenger <joe(at)woerd(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problem with tsearch and stopwords
Date: 2003-08-28 07:26:40
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi there,

I have an issue with tsearch. I'm using tsearch as a search mechanism on a
website making various queries created from the words that a user has put in.
So I query for all the words put in combined with a logical 'and' and also a
query with all the words combined with a logical 'or'. In the 'and' case
stopwords are correctly ignored whereas in the 'or' case they are not
apparently, e.g.

select 'tax&and&work'::mquery_txt;
mquery_txt
----------------
'tax' & 'work'
(1 row)

select 'tax|and|work'::mquery_txt;
NOTICE: Query contains only stopword(s) or doesn't contain lexem(s), ignored
mquery_txt

(1 row)

Am I missing something? Is the only workaround to filter the stopwords myself
before I pass the query to tsearch?

Thanks

Joerg