Re: bug with constraint dependencies? or bug with

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Gregory Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: bug with constraint dependencies? or bug with
Date: 2003-08-28 16:02:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 28 Aug 2003, Gregory Stark wrote:

> It seems when you create a new table with the "references" syntax the
> constraint is created with a dependency specifically on a "primary key"
> constraint on the target table.
>
> However when you alter a table to add a foreign key constraint the constraint
> is added with a dependency on any unique index on the column -- not
> necessarily a primary key constraint.

Well, it shouldn't be limited to a primary key constraint (you must be
able to reference a non-primary key unique constraint). If we didn't
need to worry about backward compatiblity, we could make it dependant on
the unique/primary key constraint, not the underlying index (because
upgraded old systems might only generate a unique index). However, that
would only help if the unique constraint were created before the
references constraint.