changing column size in postgres

From: sharvari N <sharvari_n(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: changing column size in postgres
Date: 2003-08-22 08:41:06
Lists: pgsql-admin
hello
How do i change the definition of  a column? one of the columns width is not sufficient to store the data. I want to change the width. how to do that in postgres? I tried doing alter table + change/modify. both of them doesn't work in postgres.
   and what is the maximum size to which a postgres database can grow? I have huge data to store.
regards
sharvari