Re: Porting from PL/SQL to PLPGSQL

From: Roberto Mello <rmello(at)cc(dot)usu(dot)edu>
To: Jomon Skariah <jomons(at)aztec(dot)soft(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Porting from PL/SQL to PLPGSQL
Date: 2003-08-20 21:12:25
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 03:15:23PM +0530, Jomon Skariah wrote:

> we are facing a few problems with PL/SQL Code..
>

> 1) In Oracle sqlplus we can run sql script files as @script_name;
> How do we do the same in PostGres.

psql takes \i. See psql's \?

See the "Porting From Oracle PL/SQL" document I wrote that is part of the
PL/pgSQL documentation.

> Also is there any replacement for "&&" in PostGres ?
>

> Eg:
> CREATE USER CATALOG
> IDENTIFIED BY &ORA_PASSWORD
> DEFAULT TABLESPACE &DFLT_TABLESPACE
> TEMPORARY TABLESPACE &TEMP_TABLESPACE

What does that do?

> 2) In PostGres a function can not take more 16 arguments.We have some
> procedures which are taking more than
> 16 arguements.So how can we convert them into PostGres.

You can recompile to change the number of parameters.
PG 7.3 can have up to 32 arguments by default, IIRC.

-Roberto

--
+----| Roberto Mello - http://www.brasileiro.net/ |------+
+ Computer Science Graduate Student, Utah State University +