Problem connecting to PostgreSQL 7.3.4 using pgAdmin II v1.6.0

From: KOUEMY Doris Z(dot) <kzdoris(at)yahoo(dot)fr>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problem connecting to PostgreSQL 7.3.4 using pgAdmin II v1.6.0
Date: 2003-08-19 15:59:25
Lists: pgadmin-support

I use postgresql now and I install it following the instructions give by http://www.postgresql.org.

The database server is installed and run on a Linux RH 8.0 machine, and pgAdmin II is installed on a Windows 2000 machine. Both machines are not on the same network.

My pgAdmin II simply refuses to connect with error message "could not connect to server. Could not connect to remote socket".
- In the postgresql.conf's file, I do " tcpip_socket = true "
- The client workstation can establish a network connection to the server
- On the database server
. when I do:
root:~#chkconfig --list postgresql
I see:
postgresql 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:off 4:off 5:off 6:off
. I have not /rc2.d/S20postgresql in /etc/rc.d/init.d
- On pgAdminII, when I click on Plugins/pg_hba.conf Editor, I receive the following message:
"an error has occured in pg_hba.conf Editor:frmWizard.Initialise
Number:76

I'm really stumped on this. Any ideas appreciated.