Re: GUI tools for Posgresql and database files

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Raigo77(at)solo(dot)delfi(dot)ee (Raigo), pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GUI tools for Posgresql and database files
Date: 2003-08-18 23:02:02
Lists: pgsql-novice

Raigo,

Please see http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/GUITools

> my second question: where does PostgreSQL 7.3.2 put it's physical
> database files? In Interbase I just need to copy *.gdb files if I move
> from one machine to another. I read in Postgres there is a directory
> for each database for example database mydb is in
> /usr/local/pgsql/database/mydb which holds one database. But in my
> installation I don't have that directory. I did search with mydb name,
> but it did not find anything. where to look and which files are needed
> if I want to move databases?

If you need to move a database, you do not want to do it by copying files.
Instead, make a backup using pg_dump or pg_dumpall and restore that to the
new location. See the documentation on pg_dump for details (or better yet,
consult your favorite PostgreSQL book).

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions