Re: Draft #6: Semi-Final

From: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Postgresql Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Draft #6: Semi-Final
Date: 2003-08-14 17:25:05
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
> > I don't think the main intent of the new wire protocol is to
> > "increase the speed of data transfers" -- does it actually make a
> > significant improvement? (I'm not sure, having been away for the
> > summer).
>
> Somebody else inserted this; I'll let them defend it.

See the archvies for a bit more on this, but the new wire protocol
makes it possible to send binary data to/from the server w/o having to
have it escaped on either end.  For databases that are storing imagery
data (think MRI's), this is non-trivial when many other DBs are/were
dog slow at doing this kind of stuff.

-sc

--
Sean Chittenden