Re: Postgres install - cygpopt missing

From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: Brian Lowe <brian(at)nichesystems(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres install - cygpopt missing
Date: 2003-08-13 11:06:18
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
Brian,

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 10:50:43AM +1000, Brian Lowe wrote:
> I have struggled to install postgres from the latest Cygwin release.
> At first, I used the standard clean installation of cygwin, but the
> standard install uses cygipc 2.0.1-2, which appears to need some
> extras to run. At first, I got a __getreent error from the cygwin1 dll
> when trying to start ipc-daemon2, but then I installed the latest
> (experimental) version and got different errors.  After messing about
> for a while, I found that if I installed the "Exp" installation of
> cygwin, most of the required libraries were installed. The exception
> was libpopt, which I installed manually. After this, all was well.

Unfortunately, you are experiencing some of the pain associated with the
impending upgrade of Cygwin from 32-bit to 64-bit I/O.  Welcome to the
party :,)

> This may indicate some problems with the dependencies and packages in the
> distribution. I note that http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/postgresql/
> postgresql-7.3.4.README doesn't mention the libpopt package as a requirement.

Try again and do a "Curr" installation.  Then follow the above README --
especially the part about installation cygipc 1.14-1.

Hopefully, the pain will end on 2003/8/23 -- the scheduled Cygwin 1.5.x
release date.  Sigh...

Jason