Re: Mysql -> Postgresql pitfalls

From: Lamar Owen <lowen(at)pari(dot)edu>
To: "Chad N(dot) Tindel" <chad(at)tindel(dot)net>
Cc: "Chad N(dot) Tindel" <chad(at)tindel(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Mysql -> Postgresql pitfalls
Date: 2003-08-04 21:08:41
Lists: pgsql-docs
On Monday 04 August 2003 13:54, Chad N. Tindel wrote:
> True.  There are good reasons to not run apache as root.  There are also
> perfectly valid reasons to run it as root, for such users who want to make
> an informed decision.

Name one.

> My posts to the list are not going through.  I am NOT advocating running
> postmaster as root.  I never was.

No, you're advocating giving that option.  We have chosen to not be the
instrument of an admin shooting themselves in the foot.

> I don't think there is a non-condescending way to tell an administrator
> that you think you know what is better for their operating environment than
> they do.

Yes, there are.  MySQL does it all the time. "You don't need
{transactions|foreign keys|subqueries|feature of the day they don't have}."
People don't seem to mind that.  We have other reasons, IIRC.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology