Starting PostgreSQL server as root

From: Daniel Gerardo Lucero Baylon <daniel_baylon(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Starting PostgreSQL server as root
Date: 2003-07-31 19:00:49
Lists: pgsql-admin
I installed PostgreSQL 7.3.4 on a red Hat Linux 8.0 system.

When I try to install clusters using initdb and postmaster commands to start
server and database, an error occurs:

You cannot run initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data as root. Please log in as the
(unprivileged) user that will own the server process.

Ok. I know that I need to log in as another Linux user to start PostgreSQL.

My problem is that I need to log on as root to access another process such as
Firebird.

Does exist a way to start Postgre as root?

I appreciate some help

Best Regards