Re: handling different languages in a database

From: Grega Bremec <gregab(at)noviforum(dot)si>
To: Judy Chun <jchun(at)islco(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: handling different languages in a database
Date: 2003-07-29 18:39:28
Lists: pgsql-admin

...and on Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 11:08:57AM -0700, Judy Chun used the keyboard:
> I’m still a novice. Can Postgresql can be configured to store the following
> languages:
>
> Chinese, German, French, Finnish, and Italian.
>
> Can a database be configured to store all these languages or should a
> database be created for each language. I’m new to working with databases in
> different languages. What issues should I be aware of when working with
> databases in foreign languages?
>
> Any information would be great.
>
> Judy Chun

Hi Judy,

If you're referring to encoding of the data you're about to store in that
database, the answer is quite straightforward: you should pick an encoding
that is capable of handling textual representations of all of those
languages, which would, at the time being, be UTF-8.

You can, alternatively, pick the most specific encoding for each language
you're trying to store and create several databases.

Cheers,
--
Grega Bremec
Sistemska administracija in podpora