Re: Draft #5 -- radically re-written

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Ned Lilly" <ned(at)nedscape(dot)com>, <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Draft #5 -- radically re-written
Date: 2003-07-29 23:34:03
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Ned, Comments on the comments:
(if I don't remark on something, it's because I agree with it)

And other people:  I want your feedback on Ned's comments!

> > competitive with even the highest-end database systems.  And it's
> > certainly less expensive."
>
> "... And you can't beat the cost."

Hey, ROD!  Which version do you prefer?

> Is anyone from AMD active on the lists?  I'm sure their PR people would
> love to get on board with this.  See
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Weblets/0,,7832_8366_5730,00.html

The think I'm worried about with involving AMD is that they might tie things
up with corporate red tape, i.e. forbid us to say anthing about Opteron
untile they get back to us, and then not get back to us until November.  I've
had that exact scenario with Apple.
If annyone in our group has contacts inside AMD to streamline this for us, I
would welcome AMD getting behind this announcement.

> Also, er, silly question - do we run on Itanium 2?  Even though Intel
> punted on the desktop, it still seems conspicuous by its absence on this
> list.

No idea.  Nobody on PERFORMANCE has mentioned Itanium.

> > Further, 7.4 downloads with the new Auto Vacuum Daemon which eliminates
> > the guesswork from scheduling database maintenence.
>
> "Further, 7.4 comes standard with the new Auto Vacuum Daemon ..."

Hmmm.  Don't quite like "comes standard", since it's a contrib module and you
have to build it.   I'll think of some similar wording.

> > SQL-STANDARD ERROR FRAMEWORK: The PostgreSQL Team has completely
> > redesigned error logging and reporting, providing developers with an

> "SQL-STANDARD ERROR FRAMEWORK: Completely redesigned ..."
>
> > REORGANIZED AND EXPANDED DOCUMENTATION:  The documentation contributors
> > have completely reorganized and added many new pages to the online

> REORGANIZED AND EXPANDED DOCUMENTATION:  Completely reorganized and
> significantly expanded online documentation, making it easier for

> > EXPLICIT JOIN REWRITING: Core developer Tom Lane has included an option
> > for explicit join rewriting by the query planner, easing the transition

> "EXPLICIT JOIN REWRITING: An extremely powerful option for power users,
> which allows explicit ..."

The thing I don't like about Ned's phrasing is that the paragraphs lack a
verb, making them more passive and less grabbing.  What do other people
think?

> Dunno if we add that much, but you're welcome to add "ERP software vendor
> OpenMFG" to the list.

Cool!   Please verify that that's official; I don't know your position in the
company.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions