Re: 7.4 Press Release -- Draft #4

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>,Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.4 Press Release -- Draft #4
Date: 2003-07-28 20:56:59
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Robert,

> Aside from spec compliance, whats the bonus for having it then? Or put a
> better way, why/when would I want to use this?

One scenario:  You have 5 PostgreSQL servers connecting to one SAN or NAS
which is your /data directory for a single database.   You use your
middleware to distribute requests among the servers; One server gets data
write requests, the other 4 get read-only requests.

However, you want to make sure that if your middleware hiccups you don't
corrupt the database files.  For this, setting 4 of the servers to "Read Only
Transactions" would be useful.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions