Re: benchmarks

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, elein <elein(at)norcov(dot)com>,pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: elein(at)varlena(dot)com
Subject: Re: benchmarks
Date: 2003-07-28 13:30:40
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Saturday 26 July 2003 10:32, Richard Huxton wrote:
> On Friday 25 July 2003 19:24, elein wrote:
> > I have someone willing to do a canned
> > benchmark on HP/ux involving Sybase,
> > Oracle and PostgreSQL and publish
> > the results here.  Names or no-names.
> > But the benchmarks should be fairly
> > well pre-canned. For example, the
> > postgresql.conf should probably not
> > be out of the box.
> Publishing them might be tricky now that you've mentioned the DBs
> concerned.

When you publish, make sure to leave out any specfific propriatery db names,
use phrases like "The market leading database".

> > Who/what can I point him to?  I do not
> > follow benchmarks.
> You mean other than:
>  ;-)

iirc Josh was working with some folks on the -performance list to put together
some benchmarking.

> Or are you looking for a set of tests? If so perhaps

or if you want to do some digging, you might see if those eweek "database
shootout" benchmarks are still available and appropriate.

Robert Treat