Re: 64 Bit Compatibility

From: Jeff <jam(at)zoidtechnologies(dot)com>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 64 Bit Compatibility
Date: 2003-07-23 22:57:21
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 03:19:27PM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
[..snipped..]
> Let me suggest new words to put in Rod's mouth...
>
> "If you tried PostgreSQL before [a thought: mention a time frame,
> like 'last year'], and performance comparisons led you to choose
> databases like DB/2 or Oracle, it is time to re-evaluate.
> PostgreSQL's performance has improved tremendously [time frame?
> 'over the last two years'?] and this, along with its ever-expanding
> feature set makes it competitive with even the highest end database
> systems."
[..snipped..]

I agree :)

however, I object to the phrase "ever-expanding feature set".. there are
certain closed source vendors (and even mysql) that suffer from this sort of
thing, and I wouldn't want pg to be associated in a reporters mind that
way. it reminds me too much of "creaping featurism". :)

certainly on the hackers list, "new features" are basically at the bottom of
the list of priorities-- they make changes to improve stability and
performance *first* before adding new features, and I think this should come
across clearly in the press release.

regards,