Re: Tuning PostgreSQL

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tuning PostgreSQL
Date: 2003-07-22 14:12:20
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 03:27:20PM +0200, Alexander Priem wrote:

> file system, mounted with 'noatime'. I will use a UPS, so I don't think I
> need the journaling of ext3. XFS is not natively supported by RedHat and I

Just in case you're still thinking, why do you suppose that only
power failures lead to system crashes? Surprise kernel panics due to
bad hardware or OS upgrades with bugs in them, sudden failures
because of bad memory, &c: all these things also can lead to crashes,
and though super-redundant hardware can mitigate that risk, they
can't eliminate them completely. This is not advice, of course, but
for my money, its a bad idea not to use a journalled filesystem (or
something similar) for production systems.

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada
<andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info> M2P 2A8