Re: replication/redundancy

From: weigelt(at)metux(dot)de
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: replication/redundancy
Date: 2003-06-30 16:17:04
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 08:31:09AM -0700, Jonathan Gardner wrote:

<snip>
> The really cool thing about pgreplication will be that it is
> hot-swappable. If one of the servers goes down, the whole thing will
> still work. You can also add databases to the system on-the-fly.
> That way, you can always keep one (or two or three) extra stand-by databases.

This is also provided by my system, but with some strict limitations:

* all tables must have the same first three fields: inode_id, mtime, attr
  (im using inherited tables, perhaps thats not needed)
* on each write operation, the mtime field must be set accurately
  (im currently not using an rule, since i dont know if there's an
  way to disabled this within an query -- perhaps someone can help here)
* currently only an explicit sync-out is supported - from time to time
  evry table has to be scanned for new records
* currently no real conflict handling

perhaps we can improve this a little bit.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux ITS
 Webhosting ab 5 EUR/Monat.          UUCP, rawIP und vieles mehr.

 fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact(at)metux(dot)de
 cellphone: +49 174 7066481	     smsgate:   sms(dot)weigelt(at)metux(dot)de
 Diese Mail wurde mit UUCP versandt.      http://www.metux.de/uucp/