Re: [GENERAL] Documentation quality WAS: interesting

From: nolan(at)celery(dot)tssi(dot)com
To: acm(at)tweakers(dot)net (Arjen van der Meijden)
Cc: JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com ('Jan Wieck'), pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org ('Advocacy PostgreSQL'), pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org ('PostgreSQL-general')
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Documentation quality WAS: interesting
Date: 2003-06-24 15:31:33
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-docs pgsql-general

> There also ssh clients which support X11 forwarding on a windows machine
> and since there are X11 servers for windows...
> You don't necessarily need a unix workstation. Apart from that, a
> (tight)vnc server might be less bandwidth consuming.

I've always figured X11 was proof that you can never have a fast enough
CPU or enough memory. :-)

I've tried X11 across a DSL line, it gives a whole new meaning to the
word slow. I wound up creating a SSH tunnel to a browser inside the
client's firewall, a solution neither of us are entirely happy with,
as it may have some security concerns. We're probably setting up a VPN
connection, but that's hung up in accounting.

My point is that solutions which require other technology just to install
or use, whether that be a simple browser or X11, can be self-defeating.

If we're trying to sell ourselves to the PHP and/or MySQL communities,
needing or even recommending X11 isn't the direction we should be going.
--
Mike Nolan