Re: [GENERAL] MySQL gets $19.5 MM

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Dennis Gearon <gearond(at)cvc(dot)net>,Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>,pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] MySQL gets $19.5 MM
Date: 2003-06-21 14:40:52
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-general
On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> The core committee has spent a fair amount of time worrying about
> exactly this issue, as first Great Bridge and later Red Hat threatened
> to become the 800-pound gorilla.  As a former employee of the former and
> a current employee of the latter, I may not be the most unbiased
> observer available to comment on the issue --- but I can tell you that
> it's something I do think about.

As one that was very resistent to GreatBridge (and not so much to RedHat),
I can't say that my worries at the time were justified ... in both cases,
both companies have allowed Tom to spend a *great* deal of time working on
the larger features, features that may have been alot slower (and more
difficult) to implement otherwise ...

I have no doubt that some of those features were 'pushed to the top of the
TODO list' due to their business case, but I can't think of any that were
against teh desires of the community ... were there?