Re: Runtime Configuration Docs

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Runtime Configuration Docs
Date: 2003-06-13 02:18:15
Lists: pgsql-docs
Tom Lane wrote:
> > 1) Can someone check my SGML?   I am not familiar with Docbook, and I did t=
> > his=20
> > using a simple text editor (there being no Docbook Gui that I could find).
> > 2) If it parses, can someone recommend a docbook-to-html tool so I can read=
> > =20
> > the darn thing?  I tried one off freshmeat but it didn't seem to work.
> Given that you've installed all the tools mentioned in the docs section
> on how to build the docs, a quick "make" in doc/src/sgml should do the
> trick for both.
> I fooled around making this happen on my Red Hat 8.0 box just recently.
> My recollection is that all the tools were installed already (though I
> may have made a point of selecting them when I installed the distro) ...
> but I had to tweak a couple of symlinks that were pointing to the wrong
> places before Postgres' configure would agree that I had a working doc
> toolchain.
> > 3) two new options, ADD_MISSING_FROM and HAS_RENDEZVOUS have been left blan=
> > k.=20=20=20
> > Who will be documenting those?  I can do the first, if wanted.
> The docs for the former should have been in the commit that implemented
> it ... how old is the checkout you started from?  As for the latter, I
> think Bruce is presently claiming we don't need a GUC variable at all
> for it.

I got the email from Chris stating you do need unique service names to
allow two different postmasters to be seen via Rendezvous, so I do think
it is necessary --- I just haven't gotten to it --- and if not set, it
will default to the hostname, and people using two postmasters will have
to set it on at least on of them to be seen.

  Bruce Momjian                        |