Re: Runtime Configuration Docs

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Runtime Configuration Docs
Date: 2003-06-13 02:18:15
Lists: pgsql-docs
Tom Lane wrote:
> > 1) Can someone check my SGML?   I am not familiar with Docbook, and I did t=
> > his=20
> > using a simple text editor (there being no Docbook Gui that I could find).
> > 2) If it parses, can someone recommend a docbook-to-html tool so I can read=
> > =20
> > the darn thing?  I tried one off freshmeat but it didn't seem to work.
>
> Given that you've installed all the tools mentioned in the docs section
> on how to build the docs, a quick "make" in doc/src/sgml should do the
> trick for both.
>
> I fooled around making this happen on my Red Hat 8.0 box just recently.
> My recollection is that all the tools were installed already (though I
> may have made a point of selecting them when I installed the distro) ...
> but I had to tweak a couple of symlinks that were pointing to the wrong
> places before Postgres' configure would agree that I had a working doc
> toolchain.
>
> > 3) two new options, ADD_MISSING_FROM and HAS_RENDEZVOUS have been left blan=
> > k.=20=20=20
> > Who will be documenting those?  I can do the first, if wanted.
>
> The docs for the former should have been in the commit that implemented
> it ... how old is the checkout you started from?  As for the latter, I
> think Bruce is presently claiming we don't need a GUC variable at all
> for it.

I got the email from Chris stating you do need unique service names to
allow two different postmasters to be seen via Rendezvous, so I do think
it is necessary --- I just haven't gotten to it --- and if not set, it
will default to the hostname, and people using two postmasters will have
to set it on at least on of them to be seen.