Re: Transaction Log

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: David Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Transaction Log
Date: 2003-06-05 17:11:44
Lists: sfpug

David,

> Can someone tell me how I can configure PostgreSQL to store and write
> to its transaction log on another disk/partition? I know that this can
> help performance, so I want to make a habit of it. Also, how big should
> the partition be?

It only benefits performance if it's on a seperate *disk*, not just a seperate
partition. It may help stability to put it on a new partition on the same
disk/array, but not performance.

Also, if you're already on a RAID 1+0 array or a large RAID 5-7 array (5 disks
plus), moving WAL may not be a perceptible benefit at all.

What OS are you using?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions