Re: postgresql.conf Docs

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: David Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
Cc: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql.conf Docs
Date: 2003-06-05 16:23:16
Lists: sfpug

> Thanks again for your great documentation of the postgresql.conf
> settings. I've just revamped the Bricolage performance tuning docs
> after reading your comments on shared_buffers and sort_mem.

Cool!  Especially as they're not finished yet.

> Question: Will you be posting these docs somewhere? I'd like to include
> a link to them in the Bricolage docs.

Yes.  In fact, here's what's going to happen in the near future:

1) I will be providing completed tables for all variables for both 7.3.3 and
7.4 beta.

2) We will be re-ordering the Postgresql.conf variables for the 7.4 release
based on the more logical order I proposed, so that the order and grouping of
variables in the table will match Postgresql.conf and vice-versa (also the
official online docs).

3) I will be talking about this stuff at length at the next meeting.  Be

> Bric/DBA.pod?rev=
> See the "Performance Tuning" section for the changes I made. An old
> example was setting shared_buffers to 20000!

Yeah, a lot of people made that mistake.   Wanna print out that doc and bring
it with to the next meeting?

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco