Re: Proposal for Re-ordering CONF (was: Re: GUC and postgresql.conf docs)

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal for Re-ordering CONF (was: Re: GUC and postgresql.conf docs)
Date: 2003-06-02 17:15:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Bruce,

> I don't think people change _that_ _many_ postgresql.conf settings, so
> reordering should be OK with them, especially if they get a clearer
> output.

Yeah. I put in the objection because Elein already made it to me.

I also think that most people don't adjust *enough* Postgresql.conf settings,
which is one thing I'm trying to change.

> Just to throw in a wrench, consider that SHOW ALL shows the settings in
> alphabetical order. I think that is OK, but I thought I should mention
> it.

I think it's OK too. Presumably, people running SHOW ALL are looking for a
particular setting, not trying to tweak everything.

I considered simply alpha-ordering the CONF file. However, too many options
have a logical grouping that really need to be adjusted together and are
spread wide apart in the alphabet (WAL_files and Checkpoint_segments, for
example). For that matter, I dealt with a couple of distros of SAMBA that
decided to "simplify" smb.conf by alphabetizing the settings, and ended up
reordering them on my own. Bleah.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions